George F. du Pont (Geordie) is a partner in BLN’s Litigation department. He is a business-oriented lawyer and his practice focuses on resolving business disputes. Geordie has extensive experience arguing complex commercial litigation cases in state and federal trial courts and appellate courts in New York. He has represented a variety of clients in commercial litigation including cases involving breach of contract, business torts such as unfair competition and breach of good faith, fraud, infringement of intellectual property, professional negligence, commercial real estate litigation, securities litigation, trust and estate litigation and antitrust litigation.
Geordie starts and finishes each client's case focused on what will yield the best outcome for that particular client. While he is well prepared to advocate for clients if they find themselves in an unavoidable commercial dispute, he recognizes that litigation is not always the answer and, when appropriate, Geordie works with clients to help them resolve their disputes through negotiation or mediation.
Geordie has been selected for inclusion as a "Rising Star" in New York Super Lawyers 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. He was selected for inclusion as a "Super Lawyer" in New York Super Lawyers for 2015 and 2016.
- Conducted oral argument before the Appellate Division, Second Department, which unanimously affirmed the Surrogate's Court in an appeal involving an Exculpatory Clause in a Trust document.
- Represented underwriters of a British insurance market before the Appellate Division, First Department, which unanimously reversed the Commercial Division of the Supreme Court, New York County and granted an anti-suit injunction enjoining a manufacturer of lead-based paint from pursuing substantially similar insurance coverage litigations in Texas.
- Conducted oral argument before the Eastern District of New York in a matter involving violations of the Civil Rights Act of 1866 and the Federal Fair Housing Act; was granted a temporary restraining order.
- Represented Harrahs Entertainment, Inc. in its successful acquisition of Caesars Entertainment, Inc. before the Federal Trade Commission.
- Represented AutoZone, Inc. and affiliates in a Robinson-Patman jury trial in both the Eastern District of New York and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit.
- Represented Internews Europe, in its challenge to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan over a proposed licensing fee for a Jordan-based Internet Webcaster.
- Represented a national healthcare company in connection with a Justice Department investigation involving allegations of Anti-Kickback statutes.
- Represented Apollo Management Ltd. in preliminary injunction / temporary restraining order proceedings in both the Southern District of New York and the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit.
- Represented an auditor in connection with mutual fund investigations conducted by the SEC and the FBI.
Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtritt LLP; New York, 2005 - 2016; Partner, Litigation Department
Latham & Watkins LLP; New York, 2001 - 2005; Associate, Litigation Department
New York City Bar Association E-Discovery Working Group, Chair, 2014-2016
New York State Bar Association, Commercial & Federal Litigation Section, Committee on Electronic Discovery
New York City Bar Association, Committee on State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction, Member 2010-2012; Adjunct Member 2013