David is the chair of the litigation section of the firm. He is a litigator and trial lawyer with over 20 years of litigation experience and client counseling. He has litigated complex civil cases before the New York Supreme Court and Appellate Divisions, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and for the Northern and Central Districts of California, and has appeared pro hac vice to litigate cases in Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Colorado. David’s practice also includes appearances as an advocate in arbitration and mediation proceedings. David handles disputes in the areas of:
- Brought suit on behalf of the purchaser of a majority share in a seafood company, in an eight-figure breach of contract / breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit, which involved interrelated Massachusetts federal, state, and arbitral matters.
- Brought suit in the United States Court for the Southern District of New York for minority oppression on behalf of the former CEO.
- Brought suit in New York Supreme Court on behalf of the majority owner of a major textiles company for breaches of fiduciary duty and corporate mismanagement.
- Brought suit in the Federal Court for the District of New Jersey on behalf of a high-net worth individual for breach of insurance contract and fraudulent theft of monies related thereto.
- Brought suit in New York Supreme Court on behalf of an investor in a day-trading operation for fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Brought an arbitration on behalf of a medical practice before the American Arbitration Association for breach of a non-compete clause by a physician.
- Brought an arbitration before FINRA on behalf of an investment company against the former CEO of that company for breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Defended a gallery owner and obtained dismissal of a claim for breach of contract relating to the sale of a multi-million dollar painting.
- Brought claims against an insurance company for failure to pay for damaged and lost artwork.
- Bought a claim for breach of contract in New York Supreme Court by an architect against a contractor.
- Brought suit in New Jersey federal court on behalf of collectors of classic cars for breaches of contract.
- Brought suit for a Yellowstone injunction and related breaches of lease relating to attempted disposition by a landlord in a Manhattan restaurant.
- Defended owners of a restaurant before the United States Court for the Southern District of New York in a Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuit.
- Defended a Tribeca restaurant and its owners in an Americans with Disabilities Act lawsuit.
- Defended owners of a fashion boutique in an Americans with Disabilities Act lawsuit a landlord.
- Brought suit before the New York Supreme Court for sexual harassment against a restaurant chain and its owners.
Bowles Liberman & Newman LLP, New York, NY, January 2006 through the present (f/k/a Bowles Lutzer & Newman LLP, Bowles Crow Lutzer & Newman LLP, Bowles Cohn & Crow LLP, Bowles & Cohn LLP, and the Law Offices of David K. Bowles)
Managing partner; general litigation.
Di Santo Bowles LLP, New York, NY, May 2012 – May 2013
Managing partner; general litigation.
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, New York, NY, July 2004 - January 2006
Senior Associate. Practitioner in hotel-related litigation. Case management for major hotel litigation with various owners, operators, and managers of international hotel chains.
Office of Governor Gray Davis, Sacramento, California, May 2003 – November 2003
Senior Deputy Legal Affairs Secretary. Advisor to the Governor on litigation, energy, and environmental matters. Lead negotiator for reform of long term-energy contracts for the State of California. Provided oversight to chief counsel for California environmental and energy agencies, including CalEPA, Resources, California Energy Commission, Public Utilities Commission, and others.
Bingham McCutchen (formerly McCutchen Doyle Brown & Enersen), Los Angeles, California, October 1999 – May 2003
Litigation Counsel. Responsibilities included case analysis, research, and drafting of administrative, trial, and appellate briefs, senior case management of lawsuits and administrative adjudications, client contact, management of associates and staff, negotiation with opposing counsel, and discovery management, as well as client counseling on environmental regulatory compliance matters.
Graham & James, LLP, New York, New York, January 1998 – October 1999
Patent infringement litigation associate. Responsibilities included legal research and writing, including drafting motions in limine, motions to compel, motions for summary judgment, appellate briefs, interrogatories and responses, client memoranda, conduct of hearings, trial preparation, and client contact.
Buckman Laboratories International, Inc., Memphis, Tennessee, June 1994 – December 1997
Associate Counsel (Litigation and Environmental). Sole in-house environmental counsel to an international chemical and pesticide corporation. Major responsibilities included providing environmental counsel to a United States operating company; complex CERCLA litigation; reporting to the Board of Directors; consulting with operating companies in Belgium, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, and South Africa; environmental auditing; and conducting environmental site assessments in real property transfers.
Weinberg, Bergeson & Neuman, Washington, D.C., May 1993 – August 1993
Summer Associate. Environmental litigation and practice, including primary responsibility for lobbying activities regarding a proposed chemical ban under TSCA § 6, assistance in a CERCLA mediation, and assistance in preparation of reference materials regarding the Clean Air Act Amendments. Engaged in direct contact with clients.
Buckman Laboratories International, Inc., Washington, D.C., July 1991 – May 1994
Industry Leader / Environmental Liaison. Responsible for communication with the Environmental Protection Agency and other federal agencies as necessary. Participated in pesticide data support task forces. Served as consultant for environmental regulatory matters.
Buckman Laboratories International, Inc., Memphis, Tennessee, October 1988 – July 1991
Regulatory Affairs Specialist. Responsible for filing and maintaining pesticide (FIFRA) registrations at the Federal and State levels. Advised internal personnel and external customers in regulatory matters involving all relevant environmental laws.
Buckman Laboratories, Inc., Memphis, Tennessee, July 1988 – October 1988
Quality Control Chemist. Wet bench and instrumental analysis, including High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography, Infrared Spectrophotometry, and UV Visible Spectrophotometry.
Memphis State University, Memphis, Tennessee, August 1987 – August 1988
Research Laboratory Technician. Responsible for development and implementation of environmental toxicology and microbiology projects at direction of various professors. Primary project consisted of study of a CERCLA site with emphasis on remediation by microbiological methods.